NORTHGATE HOUSE (FORMERLY JUDGE'S LODGING NOW THE MUNICIPAL OFFICES)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1251684

Date first listed: 09-Apr-1954

Statutory Address: NORTHGATE HOUSE (FORMERLY JUDGE'S LODGING NOW THE MUNICIPAL OFFICES), NORTHGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTHGATE HOUSE (FORMERLY JUDGE'S LODGING NOW THE MUNICIPAL OFFICES)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:19:47.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTHGATE HOUSE (FORMERLY JUDGE'S LODGING NOW THE MUNICIPAL OFFICES), NORTHGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Devizes

National Grid Reference: SU 00133 61638

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1042 N0RTHGATE STREET (South West Side) Northgate House (Formerly Judge' 5 Lodging now the Municipal Offices) SU 0061 2/139 9.4.54.

II* GV

2. Mid Georgian 3 storeys. Brick on stone plinth. Stone strings at lst and 2nd floor levels and at lst floor cill level. Moulded stone cornice. Brick parapet with moulded stone coping. Hipped slate roof. 5 windows to upper floors and 4 on ground floor in main block, all with moulded stone arohitraves, and all with glazing bars intact. 6-panel central door, with arched radiating and wreathed fanlight, under stone Ionic porch of 2 columns, wall pilasters and entablature with curved frieze, bracketed cornice and pediment, on stone landing approached by 3 stone steps. The main block has additional right hand part with half octagon bay facing road, and full height, all of same general design, with 3 windows to each floor. The garden front repeats the street elevation. Double curved stable walls to left hand of red brick on stone plinth, with stone coping, and square stone piers with moulded caps and bases. With conversion to Municipal Offices the interior has been altered but retains some very good late C18 fireplaces.

St Mary's Congregational Church, Nos 19 and 20, Sandcliffe and Northgate House form a group.



Listing NGR: SU0018061597

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434449

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing