KING WILLIAM'S TEMPLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251785
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1950
Statutory Address:
KING WILLIAM'S TEMPLE, ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS KEW, KEW GREEN, RICHMOND UPON THAMES, TW9 3AB

Map

Ordnance survey map of KING WILLIAM'S TEMPLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251785 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 16:33:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
KING WILLIAM'S TEMPLE, ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS KEW, KEW GREEN, RICHMOND UPON THAMES, TW9 3AB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 18524 76691

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/10/2017

TQ 1876 10/8

ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS KEW King William's Temple

(Formerly listed as King William's Temple, ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS)

10.1.50

II 1837 by Sir Jeffery Wyatville. Double porticoed Doric temple in stone with a series of cast-iron panels set in the walls inside commemorating British military victories from Minden to Waterloo. Originally called 'The Pantheon'. Formerly contained busts by Chantry, which are now at Buckingham Palace, of George III, George IV, William and the Duke of Wellington.

Listing NGR: TQ1852476691

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434586
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 485
Mordaunt Crook, J, Port, M H , 'The History of the Kings Works' in The History of the Kings Works 1782-1851, , Vol. 6, (1973), 441
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05360/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].