This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BLAGDEN HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BLAGDEN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1251894

Location

BLAGDEN HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Keevil

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434211

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEEVIL MAIN STREET ST 95 NW (south side) 7/150 Blagden House 11.9.68 GV II

Detached house. Mid C17, remodelled 1710 for Edward Blagden. Rendered brick, stone slate roof, stone stack with moulded capping to centre. Two-storey and attic, 5-window. Central C20 door in pointed bolection moulded surround, two 12-pane sashes in bolection-moulded architraves either side. Five sashes in bolection-moulded architraves to first floor. Moulded stone cornice with good decorated lead gutter below three attic gables each with 2-light recessed hollow-chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds, four lead rainwater hoppers with initials EB (Edward Blagden) and date 1710, coped verges with ball finials to each gable. Left return has 12-pane sash in bolection moulded architrave either side of glazed door, three sashes in bolection- moulded cases to first floor, two attic gables with cyma-mullioned casements, lead gutter and rainwater hopper as front. Rear wall is rendered timber-framing, lean-to slated extension with casements. Late C19 addition attached to right return, late C18 service wing in brick. Interior has chamfered beams in west range. 1710 features including stairs with two turned balusters per open string tread, carved tread ends, moulded handrail, 6-panelled doors and shutters, large stone chamfered fireplace in south drawing room, south west bedroom has full fielded panelling, first floor doors with 2 fielded panels. Entrance hall has early C19 fireplace with paterae, similar fireplace in north west room. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; Wiltshire Building Record)

Listing NGR: ST9186458056

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

National Grid Reference: ST 91864 58056

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251894 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 08:39:38.

End of official listing