ST BRIDES FOUNDATION INSTITUTE AND LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251908

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: ST BRIDES FOUNDATION INSTITUTE AND LIBRARY, BRIDE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST BRIDES FOUNDATION INSTITUTE AND LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251908 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 22:02:36.

Location

Statutory Address: ST BRIDES FOUNDATION INSTITUTE AND LIBRARY, BRIDE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31590 81093

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



627/8/501 BRIDE LANE 07-MAR-88 St Brides Foundation Institute and Lib rary

II Educational institute and library. 1893-4 by Robert C. Murray, with some C20 modifications including 1994 conversion of the pool to theatre by Lloyd Leroy Architects. Red brick and red sandstone dressings. Tiled steeply pitched roof to parapet. Queen Anne style with 'Wrennaisance' detailing that refers to Wren's adjacent St. Bride's Church. EXTERIOR: Irregular composition of 10 bays plus 2 bays to rounded right hand end. 2 storeys plus dormers to left six bays; right side of facade with extra storey within the same building height. 2 entrances to left portion and further entrance to curved right hand bay; square headed, those to left with curving open pediments. Round headed windows to banded ground floor. Square headed architraved windows above; 2-light casements with timber mullion and transom. Leaded panes. Segmental pediments to 2-light casemented dormers. Six bay range to left with segmental pediment over centre 2 bays. Right range breaking forward to centre with segmental pediment at cornice level over central bay and three bay triangular open pediment breaking upwards into roof storey, with central round headed window flanked by oculi. Central fleche; tall chimneys. INTERIOR: Interest includes the robust structural frame to accommodate the heavy floor load requirements of the printing machinery and plates; the former reading room in the front with strapwork plaster ceiling, dado panelling and pilasters between the tall windows; the former basement pool (converted to theatre use in 1994, with the pool filled-in) has some original wooden changing cubicles and two galleries with cast-iron balustrade supported on cast iron columns; the former basement laundry (the theatre bar in 2005) has tracks for the rolling drying racks; in the curved west end, the board room has a C17 style chimneypiece, above which the printing Library has glass fronted bookcases and 2 over door roundels with high relief profiles of philanthropist Passmore Edwards and printer William Blades, with further freestanding Gothic style bookcases in the smaller Blades library; marble foundation plaque in entrance hall and over entrance a bust of Samuel Richardson by George Frampton, donated by Passmore Edwards in 1901. HISTORY: The movement for technical education in Britain took shape in the 1880s in response to the realization that the nation was falling behind its international competitors. The City of London livery companies were identified as possible supporters, but it was the City's old parochial charities that took the lead under a scheme devised by the 1890-1 Charity Commissioners. Money was made available for technical training, including printing, an industry that was rapidly developing at this time. The St. Bride Foundation Institute was set up in 1893 for printing education, with a strong social and recreational function provided in the original swimming pool, gymnasium, lending library, and the collection of printing books that had belonged to London printer William Blades. London philanthropist and patron of architecture Passmore Edwards donated funds. The architectural competition was assessed by architect Basil Champneys who had restored St. Bride's Church (q.v.) and built the adjacent vicarage (q.v.). SOURCE: English Heritage historian's report (Jan. 1988); the Building News 17 Nov. 1893.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434796

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing