RANGE OF BUILDINGS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF CROSS HOUSE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251990

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1990

Statutory Address: RANGE OF BUILDINGS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF CROSS HOUSE FARMHOUSE, MAIN STREET, LA18 4NR

Map

Ordnance survey map of RANGE OF BUILDINGS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF CROSS HOUSE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251990 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 00:10:34.

Location

Statutory Address: RANGE OF BUILDINGS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF CROSS HOUSE FARMHOUSE, MAIN STREET, LA18 4NR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland (District Authority)

Parish: Whicham

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SD 13087 81931

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/02/2017

SD 18 SW, 15/83

WHICHAM, SILECROFT, Range of Buildings immediately NE of Cross House Farmhouse

II

Range of buildings originally comprising a dwelling, storage area, threshing barn and horse engine house (noted all residential Jun. 2016). Probably early C19. Random rubble; graduated Westmoreland slate roof. The principal range lies parallel to the village street and consists of a former single-storey, single-unit cottage (rendered, with one large 6-pane housed sash window of 1901 and a small 4-pane casement to left of doorway); a storage area with external stone steps leading to doorway set under a small gable (and with two small openings, the surrounds patched in brick); and the threshing barn (with a large wagon entrance in a projecting extension under catslide), all in series. To the rear of the threshing barn is a horse engine house, its roof intact, the entrance widened (one jamb rebuilt in brick). It appears that the horse worked underneath the gearing and machinery and this example is likely to be amongst the earliest in the county. Cross House Farmhouse itself (dated 1901) is not included in this listing.

Listing NGR: SD1308781931

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 76383

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing