DRINKING FOUNTAIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252007
Date first listed:
27-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
DRINKING FOUNTAIN, THE BOROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRINKING FOUNTAIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252007.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 18:09:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
DRINKING FOUNTAIN, THE BOROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Montacute
National Grid Reference:
ST 49803 16941

Details

ST4917 MONTACUTE CP THE BOROUGH (centre) 8/105 Drinking fountain GV II Drinking fountain for men and horses. 1902, rebuilt 1983. By A. R. Powys. Ham stone. Circular plan: central shaft and 3 outer piers linked by quasi-flying buttresses; the bottom trough occupying two of the three segments, with drain holes in the returns against the central pier; outer piers square, with moulded slightly-hipped tops; central pier hexagonal, with plain frieze band and matching cap; in east face a small niche, and in frieze a panel inscribed 'ER 1902'. Powys was the son of a vicar of Montacute; the monument was erected by the village to commemorate the Coronation of Edward VII: repeatedly damaged by traffic, it was reconstructed by the National Trust (information attached to fountain)

Listing NGR: ST4980316941

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434925
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12248/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].