PHELIPS ARMS HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252011
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
PHELIPS ARMS HOTEL, THE BOROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of PHELIPS ARMS HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252011.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 23:30:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
PHELIPS ARMS HOTEL, THE BOROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Montacute
National Grid Reference:
ST 49842 16918

Details

ST4916 MONTACUTE CP THE BOROUGH (East side) 8/112 Phelips Arms Hotel (formerly listed as Phelips Arms Inn) 19.4.61 GV II Hotel. C18, possibly modified in early C19. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between tall coped gables suggesting former thatch: brick end chimney stacks on stone bases. Two storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, band courses; composite 3-unit windows in which the centre unit is always taller and of double width, with 8+16+8 pane sashes in stone architrave, the glazing bars now removed from lower sashes of lower windows; to lower bay 2 a 3-centre-arched throughway, with entrance doors in both flanking walls: projecting signs hanging on wrot-iron brackets to either side of upper bay 1. Property considerably altered to rear and internally, but is important in its context in the open area in the centre of the village. The hotel was so named by 1835: it may be the successor to the George, first mentioned in 1698 and closed in 1822. (VCH Vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4984216918

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434932
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12360/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].