QUADRANGLE, ABOUT 6 METRES SOUTH OF MONTACUTE HOUSE, AND WALLS ENCLOSING CAR PARK TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252026
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
QUADRANGLE, ABOUT 6 METRES SOUTH OF MONTACUTE HOUSE, AND WALLS ENCLOSING CAR PARK TO SOUTH, THE BOROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUADRANGLE, ABOUT 6 METRES SOUTH OF MONTACUTE HOUSE, AND WALLS ENCLOSING CAR PARK TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 20:15:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUADRANGLE, ABOUT 6 METRES SOUTH OF MONTACUTE HOUSE, AND WALLS ENCLOSING CAR PARK TO SOUTH, THE BOROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Montacute
National Grid Reference:
ST 49925 17106

Details

ST4917 MONTACUTE CP THE BOROUGH (North side, off) 7/131 Quadrangle, about 6 metres south of Montacute House, and walls enclosing car park to south (formerly listed as outbuildings to south of Montacute House). 19.4.61 GV II Range of buildings and walls adjoining forming quadrangle. C16, modified mid C19. Ham stone, mostly ashlar; Welsh slate monopitch roofs, with safe rooflights. U plan, with ranges of buildings to north and east, walling to south. North range has throughway, and two 4-light hollow-chamfer mullioned windows, one with 4-centre arched lights with incised spandrils, no label,the other now with mullion removed and casement inserted: in east range two 2-light and two 3-light mullioned windows, and three 4-centre arched doorways, 2 moulded, one heavily, and one merely chamfered: south range has two 4-light and a single-light windows. On east face of east range high level windows indicate that this row was formerly 2-storey: a new service court for this area designed by Lewis vulliamy but never built; instead the existing service court was remodelled by 1853, the former buildings being lowered. The walling to the south, enclosing the main car park, appears to have enclosed a more formal garden in 1782: walls about 2.5 metres high in coursed Ham stone rubble, with some parts set higher especially to south; C20 gateways in south and west walls. (Girouard, M and others, Montacute House, National Trust, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4992517106

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434953
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M et al, Montacute House, (1985)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].