FORMER FOX'S UMBRELLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252059
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1990
Statutory Address:
FORMER FOX'S UMBRELLAS, 118, LONDON WALL, LONDON, EC2Y 5JA

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER FOX'S UMBRELLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:55:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER FOX'S UMBRELLAS, 118, LONDON WALL, LONDON, EC2Y 5JA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32698 81592

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/07/2017

TQ 3281 NE 4/503

LONDON WALL No 118, Former Fox's Umbrellas

(Formerly listed as No 118, Fox's Umbrellas)

GV II Terraced house with later shop. Early C19; upper floors refronted 1870s, ground floor altered 1937. Stucco upper floors in elaborate french classical manner.

Four storeys and basement. Three windows. Ground floor has rare survival of 1937 shopfront by Pollard with recessed non-reflective, curved plate glass windows (only five made). Shopfront of black Vitrolite with stainless steel grills and window surrounds. Central glazed column to window. Vitrolite band above window opening with words "Recovers" "Established 1868" and "Repairs" in stainless steel letters. Above this, a strip of four opaque glass lights, horizontally set with etched horizontal lines. Similar light and Vitrolite band with stainless steel number "118" above polished wood four-panel door. Fascia of black Vitrolite with name "Fox" in red neon tubes on stainless steel letters flanked by stainless steel relief figures of running foxes. Upper floors with enriched pilasters at angles to first and second floors; quoins to third floor. First floor stucco chanelled to appear as ashlar. First floor sashes have architraves of enriched, banded pilasters supporting entablatures and heavily enriched pediments; second and third floor sashes have shouldered architraves and enriched pediments. Main cornice at third floor level; cornice and blocking course.

Shop interior with 1937 polished wood and glass fixtures and fittings designed specifically for umbrellas and canes. Window base of diaper parquet blocks. Staircase with mirrored risers. c1870, mirrored walls to entrance and stair with applied ceramic lettering "umbrellas recovered" etc, patterned dado and light with small panes into shop. At base of stair and top of first flight, solid mahogany turned newels. Flights of second and third floors, early C19 with column newels, stick balusters and shaped handrail. First floor, originally a barber's shop, with two half-glazed doors having c1870 intricate pattern etched panels; early C19 fluted fire surround with floral enriched stops and central panel. Other floors with early C19 fireplaces, cornices and lyncrusta wallpaper.

Owned by the same family since the late C19 and until recently umbrellas were manufactured on the premises. Upper floors and basement now repair workshops.

Listing NGR: TQ3269281596

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434984
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16196/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew More. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].