This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

9 AND 11, FERRY ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 9 AND 11, FERRY ROAD

List entry Number: 1252215

Location

9 AND 11, FERRY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rye

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435109

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list:

TQ 92 SW RYE FERRY ROAD

1/274 Nos 9 & 11

GV II

The asset was previously listed twice, also under the parish of Rye, as List Entry 1238523. This entry was removed from the List on 17/04/2015.

Carpenter's Workshop and cottage. C1840s, shown on map of 1850 with western end of cottage added by 1859,No.9, the cottage, is weather boarded on a stock brick plinth with slate roof hipped to one end and 2 brick chimneystacks. Front has 1 12-pane and 1 16-pane sash with moulded architraves and 6 panelled door with rectangular fanlight, cornice and contemporary foliated doorknocker. Left gable has 1st floor 4-paned window with horns and ground floor canted bay with bracket cornice and brackets and horns to 4-pane sashes. Attached to right hand is lean to extension weatherboarded with slate roof with 1 casement and plank door with sphinx doorknocker. Interior has original features including 4 panelled door, mantlepiece with paterae and pilasters, plank door and mid C19 fireplace and cupboard. Attached workshop is mainly weatherboarded on a brick plinth with rood covered in asbestos sheeting but the north west elevation is rendered. Street front has 3 continuous casements with wooden mullions and later casement. Ground floor has blocked casement and doorcase with 4 flush panels and moulded cornice. South east front has large double doors to ground floor and left side plank door giving access to lst floor. lst floor has later fixed casement and later double ½ glazed doors. Interior has 3 thin axial beams, thin floor joists and thin diagonal braces to wall frame. A drawing of the early 1850s shows the buildings as a large, carpenters shop and yard belonging to Huggett & Sons Builders.

Listing NGR: TQ9183320421

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ9183320421

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252215 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 09:50:43.

End of official listing