SEVEN MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD BETWEEN 0.5 METRES AND 6 METRES NORTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252235

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: SEVEN MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD BETWEEN 0.5 METRES AND 6 METRES NORTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SEVEN MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD BETWEEN 0.5 METRES AND 6 METRES NORTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252235 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 15:32:10.

Location

Statutory Address: SEVEN MONUMENTS IN THE CHURCHYARD BETWEEN 0.5 METRES AND 6 METRES NORTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Semington

National Grid Reference: ST 89938 60512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEMINGTON CHURCH STREET ST 86 SE (south side) 4/181 Seven monuments in the churchyard between 0.5m and 6m north of nave of Church of St George GV II

Seven chest tombs. Late C17 and C18. Limestone. Group of three to north all to members of Matravers family; north one has oval egg and dart moulded panels and quarter balusters to fluted frieze and inscription to Elizabeth died 1788, next south has floral bordered oval panel with floral drops on corners, moulded cornice and inscription to James died 1753, east of three has shield-shaped panels, quarter balusters and fluted frieze, all have weathered tops. Low tomb to south has two panels with cartouches, egg- moulded flat top, illegible inscription. C18 tomb again to south has plain panels, corner pilasters, pulvinated frieze and flat top. Pair joined together against east end of north side of nave have 2 recessed moulded panels, skull and hourglass carved on west end panels, ogee moulded flat tops, date 1699 legible on west panel of the south tomb.

Listing NGR: ST8993860512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435194

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing