Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252245.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2020 at 14:50:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
West Ashby
National Grid Reference:
TF 26549 72446



2/140 West Ashby House 14.9.66 G.V. II* Vicarage, now house. c.1710, mid C18, early C19, C20. Red brick. Plain tile and pantile roofs with brick coped and tumbled gables; ornate bracketed eaves cornice, slightly projecting gable stacks and single ridge stack to rear. L-plan. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bay east fron of c.1710 with first floor brick band. Central early C18 doorway said to come from Captain Cook'shouse in The Mile End Road, London, and inserted in c.1930; with fluted Roman Do ric pilasters, panelled hood with ornate consoles, frieze with parallel lines rising to central point, traceried fanlight and panelled door. Doorway flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes on each side, with 4 glazing bar sashes above, all with segmental heads. 3 dormer windows above, the central window with a segmental head, the flanking windows, pedimented; and all with small glazing bar sashes. South-west side of front range with early C18 Venetian window inserted in c.1930, with outer Ionic pilasters flanking a pair of Ionic half columns, central semi-circular headed window with ashlar keystone. Staircase window to left with semi-circular head with ashlar keystone and glazing bar sash. South side of rear range with 3 bays and first floor brick band. Mid C18 doorway to right, inserted in c.1930, with semi-circular headed, moulded doorcase with initial GH on doorcase, panelled hood with consoles and cherubs' heads, and panelled door. Doorway flanked by single 2 light sliding sashes, with 2 two light sliding sashes above, all with segmental heads. Small C19 and C20 additions to west and north. Hall with black and white marble floor and 7 flight return staircase with ornately carved tread ends, 3 turned bannisters with square knops to each tread and moulded handrail. Hall with C18 fielded pine panelling from Kelsey House, Mercer Row, Louth in c.1930, with bolection moulded fireplace and 2 semi-circular headed corner cupboards with shell motif in heads. Drawing room with early C18 fielded pine panelling, possibly inserted in c.1930, with bolection moulded fireplace and Venetian window with pine corinthianesque pilasters flanking 2 pine corinthianesque half columns. Back sitting room with C18 pine cupboard with flanking fluted pilasters and fielded panelling. C18 fireplace in master bedroom with eared outer surround, bolection moulded inner surround, bands of Greek key pattern and Delft tiles. C18 staggered purlin roofs. Sources: Richard Hough. "The Murder of Captain James Cook". London 1979, p.32. Lincolnshire Standard, 17th August, 1963. Evening Telegraph 9th December, 1965. Lincolnshire Life. July 1971, p.33.

Listing NGR: TF2654972446


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hough, R, The Murder of Captain James Cook, (1979), 32
'Evening Telegraph' in 9 December, (1965)
'Lincolnshire Life' in July, (1971), 33


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08376/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].