CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1252247
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 23:53:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
West Ashby
National Grid Reference:
TF 26583 72461

Details

TF 27 SE WEST ASHBY MAIN STREET (west side) 2/144 Church of All Saints 14.9.66 G.V. I

Parish church. Early C12, c.1200, late C14, C15, restored 1872-3 by Ewan Christian. Green sandstone rubble blocks, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles, tile coped east gable with cross finial. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel. C15 west tower with 5 stage angle buttresses, south east rectangular stair turret with 2 slit lights and 3 string courses, moulded plinth and string course. Tall C19 west window with pointed head, 3 pointed lights, cusped tracery and hood mould. Moulded string course above and single, small rectangular windows on west and south sides. Clock on second stage, east side. Moulded string course defines bell stage with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, 2 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery with quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. Moulded eaves above with large, projecting corner gargoyles, battlements and ornate corner pinnacles. West end of C14 north aisle with plinth and moulded stringcourse, pointed window with 2 cusped, pointed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. North side of aisle with C15 doorway to west with pointed head, continuous moulded surround, hood mould and plank door. 3 three stage buttresses to left, alternate with 2 rectangular C14 windows each with 3 cusped pointed and ogee headed lights with flowing tracery and hood mould. C19 corbelled eaves above. East end of north aisle with rectangular, 3 light window with 3 cusped, pointed and ogee headed lights with flowing tracery and hood mould and label stops. Chancel with single, pointed C19 window with 3 ogee headed lights, flowing tracery, hood mould and label stops. East end of chancel with moulded string course running beneath Cl9 east window with 3 cusped pointed lights, 3 cusped oculi above, hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel continuous with nave. 2 triangular headed windows to the right, both with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and quatrefoil. Rectangular late C14 window to left with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, hood mould and label stops. Pointed early C15 window beyond with 3 pointed and ogee headed, cusped lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. C15 gabled porch restored in C19 with pointed south doorway, polygonal jambs with rosettes on capitals and abaci, chamfered outer order, hood mould and head label stops; moulded eaves with rosette motifs and moulded parapet. Interior early C12 doorway with semi-circular head, the outer order rolled, chamfered imposts, chamfered jambs and plank door. Interior tower arch of c.1200 with pointed, double chamfered head dying into rectangular jambs. Small pointed C15 doorway inside tower with chamfered surround and plank door. 2 painted boards in tower recording charitable bequests. 4 bay north arcade of c.1200 with double chamfered, pointed heads, polygonal responds and square piers placed diagonally and chamfers with slender shafts attached, with plain moulded capitals. C14 piscina in south wall with cusped ogee head. C15 octagonal font with cusped traceried panels on bowl and pedestal. C19 roofs, pulpit, lectern, altar rail and pews. Monument of white and grey marble to Thomas Rockcliffe, died 1783; another of white marble with pediment to Richard Calthrop, whose head was blown off at sea off Algiers in 1816; another of white and grey marble with seated sheep, pelican and coat of arms, to Elizabeth Paine, died 1859; another of white and dark grey marble with urn and draperies to Richard Elmhurst, died 1847; another of black and white marble with ribbons, to Elizabeth Elmhurst, died 1857; and one in grey and white marble with palms, to Sarah Elmhurst, died 1848.

Listing NGR: TF2658172462

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435221
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08376/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].