GREAT EASTERN HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252272
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
GREAT EASTERN HOTEL, LIVERPOOL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT EASTERN HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252272.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 04:42:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREAT EASTERN HOTEL, LIVERPOOL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33214 81582

Details

The following building shall be added:-

LIVERPOOL STREET TQ 3381 NW 5/63 Great Eastern Hotel

II GV

Hotel. 1880-4 by C and C E Barry for Great Eastern Railway; altered and extended towards Bishopsgate by Colonel R W Edis 1898-1901. Red brick with Portland stone to ground floor and red Corsehill stone above; gabled Welsh slate roofs; brick end and ridge stacks with moulded stone cornicing. Plan divided into two by cab road leading from main arrival platform to Liverpool Street, with part to west centred around restaurant and part to the east, with Hamilton Hall and Abercorn Bar, facing Bishopsgate. Renaissance with Flemish style. 5 storeys and attics. 13-window range to Bishopsgate with pedimented central bay and crow-stepped gabled outer bays. Framed by blocked pilasters; continuous cornicing to ground and second floors. Doric columns to central entry; segmental-arched ground-floor sash windows; keyed semi- circular arched first and second-floor sash windows, framed by blocked pilasters to central and outer bays; keyed square-headed sash windows framed by blocked pilasters to central and outer bays; windows to left are set in slightly projecting bay supported by curved stone brackets and surmounted by pedimented lunette. Liverpool Street return has similar pedimented bay; then 6-window range of 3-4 light mullioned and transomed windows, with second-floor scroll- pedimented windows set beneath stone tympanum arches, which are framed by blocked pilasters rising to third-floor dentilled cornice and parapet with pierced stone balustrade; rusticated pilasters to ground-floor shop front. Similar 3-window return to similar 11-window range front to west section of hotel which has pedimented dormers pedimented second-floor windows, pedi- mented round dormer window over projecting bay set above segmental arched cab entry to right and cupola surmounting tower to left. Right-hand return to Bishopsgate elevation of 13-window range and in simpler neo-Georgian style with keyed square-headed window architraves, pedimented to first floor, Interior: main rooms decorated in variety of Elizabethan to neo-classical styles, and include the following. West section of hotel centred around fine panelled restaurant with stained-glass dome supported by square pillars faced with Ionic pilasters; entrance hall and stair hall, with blind and open semi-circular arched arcading, have fine wrought-iron balustrade to open-well staircase and coved cornice to strapwork ceiling with pendentive. East section has entrance hall by Edis with balustrade to fine marble staircase and coved cornice with Rococo plasterwork, Abercorn Bar by Edis in late Elizabethan style with panelled wall and coved, heavily embossed ceiling. Hamilton Hall in sumptuous Rococo plasterwork and panelling, including painted scenes set in Rococo frames, modelled on an apartment in the Palais Soubise in Paris. Fine Egyptian-style Masonic temple by Edis and Greek-style Masonic temple by Brown and Barrow.

Listing NGR: TQ3323281569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435249
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01623/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jim Buckley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].