Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252281.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 17:43:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Folkestone and Hythe (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 17616 43909


TR 1643-1743 ELHAM CULLINGS HILL (South-West Side)

9/26 Monks Cottage


Shop and house, now house. C17 or early C18, with late C19 addition and C20 alterations. Ground floor painted brick, first floor rendered with applied studding. Plain tile roof. 2 storeys. Plat band. Part of post and wall-plate end visible to front left corner terminating about half way up present first floor, possibly relating to a non-extant building to left. Roof half-hipped to left, hipped to right with gablet. Right hip returns, with lower ridge. Red and grey brick ridge stack towards centre. Irregular fenestration of 3 paned windows; one two-light horizontally-sliding sash to each end and one six-paned single light towards centre. Bow window to left end of ground floor, ribbed garage doors to right, and ribbed door with flat hood on slender iron brackets under stack. Two-storey painted brick rear addition to right. Painted flint rear lean-to. Interior: chamfered axial beam and unchamfered joists of relatively small scantling to left ground-floor room. Brick fireplace, partly in English bond, with bressumer formed from a late C16 or C17 ovolo-moulded ceiling beam with comparatively elaborate chamfer-stops. Chamfered axial beam to right ground-floor room. Tie beam and wall- plate of relatively small scantling.

Listing NGR: TR1761643910


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06841/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm McKen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].