DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND SHELTER, NORTH SIDE OF GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252284
Date first listed:
02-Aug-1993
Statutory Address:
DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND SHELTER, NORTH SIDE OF GARDENS, FINSBURY CIRCUS EC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND SHELTER, NORTH SIDE OF GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252284 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 16:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND SHELTER, NORTH SIDE OF GARDENS, FINSBURY CIRCUS EC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32892 81635

Details

The following building shall be added:

FINSBURY CIRCUS EC2 TQ 3281 NE 627-/4/10006 Drinking fountain and shelter, north side of gardens

GV II

Drinking trough and shelter. 1902. Designed by John Whitehead and Son, Westminster. Pink granite fountain, circular in plan with original brass spouts. Circular stone plinth, on top of which is a wood, box framed gazebo or shelter; conical roof of tile, some fish scale, with metal finial ceiling boarded. Swept eaves with exposed rafter ends to roof. Base of fountain inscribed "Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association, 1902". The shelter is designed after the well head designed by Philip Webb for William Morris' "Red House" in Bexley Heath. This well was, along with the "Red House", widely illustrated after Morris' death in 1896, and the appearance of this motif was in all likelihood meant as a deliberate reference.

Listing NGR: TQ3287681644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435262
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14024/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].