PARSON'S ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252295

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1972

Statutory Address: PARSON'S ALMSHOUSES, ST MARY'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARSON'S ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 10:58:19.

Location

Statutory Address: PARSON'S ALMSHOUSES, ST MARY'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ely

National Grid Reference: TL 53797 80237

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST MARY'S STREET 1. 1082 (South Side) TL 5379 2/211 Parson's Almshouses TL 5380 4/211

II GV

2. A range of buff coloured brick almshouses with stone dressings designed by G Basevi in the Tudor style and built in 1884. They have a long U shaped plan with a central tower on the south range and long single scorched wings extending to the north with short gabled cross wings to terminate the north ends. The windows are mainly 2 light, with some 3 light, casements with stone mullions and transomes. The doorways have 4-centred stone arches, lime central tower has an ogee slate roof with ornamental dormers, a central pointed arched window and a stone panel inscribed "These almshouses were erected 1844 through tile munificence of Thomas Parsons,an Ely benefactor of the 15th century". Roofs tiled, with paired circular chimney shafts on moulded bases.

Nos 13 to 29 (odd) and 29A, Parson's Almshouses form a group with Nos 20, 22. 22A, Nos 24 to 30 (even), Nos 34, 36, 36A, 38, Nos 40 to 60 (even), No 20 Church Lane and Parish Church of St Mary. Also Nos 13 o 29 (odd) 29A Parson's Almshouses & Nos 20, 22, 22A, Nos 24 to 30 (even), Nos 34, 36, 36A, 38 & Nos 40 to 60 (even) form a group with Nos 1 to 5 Downham Road.

Listing NGR: TL5379780237

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435271

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing