DISTRICT CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252311
Date first listed:
09-Apr-1954
Statutory Address:
DISTRICT CLUB, ST JOHN'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DISTRICT CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252311.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 05:51:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
DISTRICT CLUB, ST JOHN'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Devizes
National Grid Reference:
SU 00445 61328

Details

1. 1042 ST JOHN'S STREET (West Side)

No 27 (District Club) SU 0061 3a/71 9.4.54.

II GV

2. Late C18. 3 storeys and basement. Bath stone on projecting plinth. lst floor stringcourse. Moulded cornice and blocking course. 2 windows to upper floors. Large window on ground floor. All windows recessed sash glazing bars intact, block sills. Large recessed door to right of 6 panels, circular in centre. Semi-circular fanlight, wreathed radial glazing bars. Basement window. Large 3 centred arched yard entry to right hand with good early C19 cast iron panelled gate piers of diagonal and scroll pattern, one retaining anthemion crest. Curved scroll overthrow formerly had central anthemion ornament. Spear head rails to gates with band of spaced circles. 4 steps up to front door.

Nos 23 to 41 (consec) and the part of the National Westminster Old Bank in Market Place form a very fine group.

Listing NGR: SU0044561328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435297
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03140/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M Reed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]rg.uk.