MIDDLE HOUSE MORANTS COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252332
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Sep-1976
Statutory Address:
MIDDLE HOUSE, MORANTS COURT ROAD
Statutory Address:
MORANTS COURT, 3, MORANTS COURT ROAD
Statutory Address:
MORANTS COURT, MORANTS COURT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MIDDLE HOUSE
MORANTS COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252332.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 10:21:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
MIDDLE HOUSE, MORANTS COURT ROAD
Statutory Address:
MORANTS COURT, 3, MORANTS COURT ROAD
Statutory Address:
MORANTS COURT, MORANTS COURT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Sevenoaks (District Authority)
Parish:
Chevening
National Grid Reference:
TQ 50067 57922

Details

1. 5280 CHEVENING CHEVENING Morants Court Road

Morants Court TQ 55 NW 42/156

II

2. Large house of different periods, now as separate maisonnettes. Once the home of Sir Edward Meyerstein the philanthropist. Oldest part, probably early C15, is a 1st floor hall, said to have been the place of Court Leets. 3 bays with 2 crown posts. Very heavy rafters of even wideth. Ogee braces to plates and beams. Old plank floor. From outside, appearance, of this part much altered. 2 storeys and attic, 2 windows. Roof now slated, with eaves soffit and modern dormer. Front wall raised to give lower pitch to roof. Tile hung 1sr floor jetty retained above brick ground floor. C18 and modern casements and 1 3- light sash. Modern double door. 2 storey, 3 window kitchen wing circa 1700. High pitched tiled roof. 1st floor band. Later stucco quoins; and dressings to late C18 sash windows with glazing bars. Rest of house is C19 and modern. For historical associations see Hasted's History of Kent.

Morants Court shall be amended to read Morants Court, Middle House and No 3 (Morants Court).

----------------------------------------------------- 1. 5280 CHEVENING CHEVENING Morants Court Road Morants Court TQ 55 NW 42/156

II

2. Large house of different periods, now as separate maisonnettes. Once the home of Sir Edward Meyerstein the philanthropist. Oldest part, probably early C15, is a 1st floor hall, said to have been the place of Court Leets. 3 bays with 2 crown posts. Very heavy rafters of even wideth. Ogee braces to plates and beams. Old plank floor. From outside, appearance of this part much altered. 2 storeys and attic, 2 windows. Roof now slated, with eaves soffit and modern dormer. Front wall raised to give lower pitch to roof. Tile hung 1st floor, jetty retained above brick ground floor. C18 and modern casements and 1 3- light sash. Modern double door. 2 storey, 3 window kitchen wing circa 1700. High pitched tiled roof. 1st floor band. Later stucco quoins; and dressings to late C18 sash windows with glazing bars. Rest of house is C19 and modern. For historical associations see Hasted's History of Kent.

Listing NGR: TQ5006757922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356974
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1801)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16837/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ron Garvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].