This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

POOR'S HOUSE THE MASTER'S HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POOR'S HOUSE THE MASTER'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1252340

Location

POOR'S HOUSE, 22, HIGH STREET
THE MASTER'S HOUSE, 20, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 1643-1743 ELHAM HIGH STREET (west side)

9/37 No. 20 (The Master's House) 29.12.66 and No. 22 (Poor's House)

GV II

Parish Workhouse and the Master's house, now house pair. Late C18. Red and grey brick in Flemish bond. Left gable end tile-hung (probably over brick), right gable end brick. Plain tile roof. 3 storeys and cellar. Central section of building is slightly recessed. Hipped roof, cut back over central section. Rendered brick gable-end stack to left and rear stack to right. Irregular fenestration of 4 windows; three two-light horizontally-sliding sashes and one two- light casement to second floor and four recessed twenty-pane sashes with segmental heads to first floor (one to each 'wing' and two to central section). Ground floor has three multipane canted bay windows on brick bases, with flat corniced roofs. Door with four fielded panels, two top lights and flat bracketed hood up three steps to right end of left 'wing', to The Master's House. Blocked carriage entrance to left end of central section. Panelled door with two small top lights and flat bracketed hood up three steps to left end of right 'wing', to Poor's House. Two-storey rear lean-to. Interior not inspected. (A building to rear, now in The Row, said to have been the old Hospital of the Workhouse. Not listed).

Listing NGR: TR1766543990

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 17661 43981

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 12:57:03.

End of official listing