CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252406

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:51:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Virginstow

National Grid Reference: SX 37700 92687

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 39 SE VIRGINSTOWE VIRGINSTOWE

5/70 Church of St Bridget

23.8.57

- II Parish church. C12 font, complete rebuilding of 1851 (datestone), circa early C20 internal alterations to the chancel. Stone rubble with slate roof, freestone dressings and rusticated quoins. Pre-archaeological lancet style with nave, chancel, south west porch, west bell turret. The chancel has a triple lancet east window, single lancets to the north and south sides, nave with 5 lancets to the north, 4 to the south side, with a gabled coped south west porch with chamfered 2-centred arched outer and inner doorways. The coped gabled west end bellcote rises from the ground at the west end in a buttress-like feature with set-offs and a pair of lancets. Interior The 1851 features are modest, the chancel stepped up and refurbished in the circa early C20. Plastered walls, simple chamfered chancel arch, 1851 roof of scissor-braced trusses. 1851 south west plank door with large false strap hinges. Set of 1851 rectangular bench ends with recessed panels, timber pulpit with pierced trefoil-headed panels, C20 timber altar and reredos. The font is probably C12, a simple bowl on a stem with a recut cable moulding. The church rebuilding was partly financed by the Reverend P Cann for whom the Rectory (qv) was built in 1845 (Whites). Although in the county of Devon Virginstowe Church is in the Diocese of Truro.

Listing NGR: SX3770092687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435427

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Devon, ()

End of official listing