THE ROCK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252412
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
THE ROCK HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROCK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252412.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Nov-2019 at 20:48:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ROCK HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Sevenoaks (District Authority)
Parish:
Chevening
National Grid Reference:
TQ 50229 56150

Details

1. 5280 CHEVENING CHIPSTEAD High Street (South Side) The Rock House TQ 5056 SW 3/147 10.9.54.

II GV

2. Irregular house, largely of C16. Front shows 2-storey, 4-window left part, oversailing at left. Projecting, gabled, one-window right part oversails on 3 sides with dragon beams now boxed in. Old brackets visible at left. Roof of high pitch, tiles renewed in C19 and bargeboard added to gable. Moulded plastered eaves. Front all stuccoed with incised lines. Casement windows under hoodmoulds, (except below jetties) that on ground floor centre with Tudor heads to lights. Tudor arched doorway with hoodmould to traceried door. The whole front a mid C19 restoration. Under right part a retaining wall of coursed galletted rubble with red brick quoins. Modern left extensions. Inside much exposed timber and a restored inglenook. On ground floor front some late C18 and Regency painted panelling. Some flights of a staircase of circa 1700. C17 arcaded brick cellar built on to rock hewn chapel of transitional appearance, circa 1200.

The Rock House, Stables, cobbled yard and Walls form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ5022956150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356996
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15314/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Poole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].