THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252434

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 16:27:54.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Virginstow

National Grid Reference: SX 37973 92665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 39 SE VIRGINSTOWE VIRGINSTOWE

5/71 The Old Rectory

-

- II House, formerly Virginstowe Rectory. 1845 (Whites Directory). Stone rubble, colour- washed and plastered with a hipped slate roof with central valley, rendered stacks. Double depth rectangular plan with a central stair hall, principal rooms to the left, service rooms to the right. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front elevation with regular fenestration, deep eaves and a stone plinth. Central front door with fanlight with Gothic glazing bars. No windows to the left of the front door except for one first floor false window. 3 first floor and 2 ground floor 12-pane sashes to the right of the front door, ground floor window right was originally false but has been glazed on the design of the original windows. Round-headed rear stair window with margin glazing. The garden elevation is 2-bay wide with first floor sashes and ground floor French windows with glazing bars. Interior Very complete with contemporary joinery, chair rails and 1 original marble chimney piece. The central stair hall is partly panelled and has a plaster groin vault to the front and a dog-leg stair with stick balusters and a turned newel post. The Rectory was built for the Reverend P Cann who also helped to finance the rebuilding of the parish church in 1851. An attractive late Georgian house with a good stair hall.

Listing NGR: SX3797392665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435460

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in Devon, ()

End of official listing