This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1252446

Location

THE OLD TOWN HALL, 1, WINE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Devizes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Apr-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Sep-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435450

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1042 WINE STREET (South Side) No 1 (The Old Town Hall) (Formerly listed as The Clock House Laundry) SU 0061 4/103 9.4.54.

II* GV

2. Formerly the Cheese Hall, used as a Town Hall during erection of present building and later as depot for the militia. Built by an architect called Lawrence in 1750-52. 2 storeys. A wide Bath stone front of 4 bays, with pediment over all on front facing Market Place. The ground floor has rusticated treatment and 4 arched openings with slightly projecting springers. This arcade has now been restored,windows having been inserted in early C19. Slightly projecting string at lst floor level supporting 5-semi-engaged Ionic columns and 2 outer angle Ionic piers all with moulded bases and carved capitals supporting entablature, curved frieze, and pediment. Short length of parapet with moulded coping at angles. 4 tall windows on lst floor with moulded sills. The tympanum is filled with elaborately carved enrichment of scroll and floral type with pair of cupids in relief supporting a central clock in a rich wreath frame crowned with Town Arms. The side elevation to St John's Street repeats the design in simpler form, with 4 similar bays, but pilasters to upper part, and panelled parapet in place of pediment. The parapet has small piers over pilasters. The exterior stone work and carving is, however, exceedingly good and does not appear to have been affected.

Nos 1 to 4 (consec) four a group.

Listing NGR: SU0043361416

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 00438 61416

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 11:45:56.

End of official listing