CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1252480

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LINTHORPE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 06:25:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LINTHORPE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 49432 20145

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLESBROUGH LINTHORPE ROAD, NZ 42 SE (4920) east side.

1/46 Church of All Saints (formerly listed as 17.7.68 Grange Road). - II* Church, 1873/78 by G.E. Street; Simpson and Baker (London), builders. Coursed rockfaced limestone with quoins. Plain clay tile roofs, renewed on nave, trancepts and chancel, with pierced ridge crestings. Brick interior with stone arcades and dressings; painted chancel. Cruciform plan; clerestoried aisled nave and chancel, with west porch. West end fronts onto Linthorpe Road. Decorated style, with Geometric-style tracery. Gabled west porch has stepped-chamfered opening with impost string, under hoodmould. Recessed boarded double doors with scrolled strap hinges, in moulded surround with nook shafts. 5 stepped blind lancets in gable. Angle buttresses, at west end of nave, flanking 3 stepped windows with battered sills, sill strings and continuous hoodmoulds. Similar west aisle windows. 7-bay clerestorey with cusped windows in hollow-chamfered surrounds under continuous hoodmould. 4-bay aisles, with hoodmoulds, sill strings, and gabled buttresses between bays. Shaped rafter-ends at eaves. Transepts have angle buttresses, large windows with continuous hoodmoulds, and sill strings. Stepped lancets in gables. Stack and octagonal sanctus bell turret, with spirelet and 3 bell openings under continuous chevron moulding in each face, at east side of north transept. 2 bronze war memorial tablets below south transept window. Round clerestorey windows in lower 2-bay chancel with east rose window under hoodmould with carved stops. Chancel aisles have doorways and mullioned-and-transomed windows. Steeply-pitched nave, chancel and porch roofs, with cross finials at ends. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave arcades have 2 moulded orders, keeled compound piers, moulded capitals and bases. Similar transept, chancel and chapel arches. Sculptures of saints in enriched niches in spandrels between nave arcades and transept arches. Carved traceried stone screens between chapels and chancel. Ceiled false hammerbeam roof, with embattled collars and traceried trusses, in nave; painted pointed barrel roof and moulded wall plate with carved cresting, in chancel. West organ gallery with panelled front, over mid C20 glazed screen. Carved octagonal stone font has carved wood cover. Patterned marble paving and cusped-arcaded communion rails, in sanctuary. Marble 3-bay panelled altar, of 1897, carved with angels and pelican. Alabaster aedicule tabernacle, with buttresses, portcullis and embattled parapet. Reredos, 1891 by Burlison and Grylls, has traceried panels painted with evangelists, prophets and symbols, and 7-bay surround of buttressed traceried panels with painted crucifixion in gabled centrepiece. Mid-C20 richly-carved oak altar, carved painted reredos with Resurrection, and carved dado panelling, in north aisle chapel. Mid-C20 war memorial altar and reredos under south transept window. Richly-carved rood, of 1926 suspended from chancel arch. Stained glass in east window, 1890 by Burlison and Grylls, depicts Christ the King. Good stained glass in north aisle, by A.O. Hemming, and in south transept, west window and aisles, late C19 to early C20.

Listing NGR: NZ4943220145

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435491

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/250415
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/250424

End of official listing