CHURCH OF ST EDITHA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252564
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDITHA, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDITHA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 15:04:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDITHA, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
North Warwickshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Polesworth
National Grid Reference:
SK 26332 02433

Details

POLESWORTH HIGH STREET SK2OSE (South side) 5/85 25/03/68 Church of St Editha

GV ll*

Church, originally part of a Benedictine nunnery church, C11 origins. Early Cl2 nave and north aisle, C14 tower has C17/C18 top. Aisle probably widened C14. chancel and north parch added and drastic restoration 1869 by G.E. Street. Sandstone ashlar. Old plain-tile roofs have coped gable parapets. Navel chancel, north aisle and porch, north east tower. 4-bay chancel, 8-bay nave, Chancel ha east window of 5 stepped lancets in a blank arch. South side has a blocked C12 Romanesque doorway of 2 orders with hood mould, originally to the cloister, set against the western end. 2 pairs of lancets. Nave has Cl9 windows. South side has 3 triplets of lancets set in-blank arches. Set high up are 2 straight-headed restored C14 windows of cusped ogee lights with pierced spandrels. Between them, and set lower, is a C19 lancet. West front composed of nave and very slightly projecting aisle. Nave has renewed 4-light Perpendicular window. Aisle has northern and massive southern buttresses, both of 2 offsets. Early C13 doorway, set off-centre, of 2 chamfered orders with old double-leaf doors and ironwork. Window has cusped Y-tracery and small buttress below. Gable has trefoil opening and CIA cross finial. North side has splay plinth and shallow buttresses. Wide, low porch with moulded doorway and double-leaf doors, C12 doorway inside of 2 moulded orders. Trefoiled faucet to west. To east of porch are 3 triplets of lancets, similar to nave windeows. Massive tower of 2 stages has diagonal buttresses; each with gablet and 2 offsets, to all except the south-east corner. Very large restored 3-light Decorated north window rises into the second stage, and has reticulated tracery, a transom and a hood mould with head stops. Bell chamber has 2-light openings with reticulated tracery and wooden louvres. East side is blank apart from 2 large slit openings to the bell chamber. Embattled parapet has slits below. Clock face to west. Interior: chancel has east window with nook shafts. North tower arch of 3 segmental painted chamfered orders and fieep splayed jambs. Cusped arched brace roof. C19 chancel arch of one chamfered order without responds or imposts. Nave has 8-bay early C11 Romanesque arcade of low narrow arches with shallow scalloped capitals and string course above, Former clerestory of small windows with splayed jambs. Medieval head corbel sat high up. Cl9 seven-bay crown post roof. Aisle has similar roof. Tower arch has outer chamfer, and 3 inner chamfered orders with deep splay jambs, Fittings: C14 octagonal font has trefoiled blind arches and simple shafts. Iron-bound dug-out chest. C14 sculpture panel set on a head corbel in the aisle. C19 stalls etc. Monuments: effigy of an Abbess c.1200, in second bay of arcade, is in low relief, and set on a C15 Perpendicular tomb chest with shields in quatrefoils. Early C15 effigy of a lady, third bay. Similar Perpendicular tomb chest with blind arches to the angles. Francis Nethersole 1652; nave east wall. Panel with moulded architectural surround and lozenge of arms. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp372-373; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp194-197)

Listing NGR: SK2633202433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435566
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 194-197

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03399/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alfred John Dyson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].