WOODSTOCK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252573
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1975
Statutory Address:
WOODSTOCK HOUSE, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOODSTOCK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 11:54:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOODSTOCK HOUSE, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodstock
National Grid Reference:
SP 44362 16590

Details

WOODSTOCK RECTORY LANE SP4416NW (South side) 9/233 Woodstock House 22/09/75 GV II House. c.1730, with alterations of early C19. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar front; hipped concrete tile roof; mid C19 yellow brick stacks. L-plan with rear right wing. 3 storeys; symmetrical 6-window range. Fine Doric portico: 6-panelled door with overlight set in mid C18 moulded wood architrave. Flat stone arches over 6-pane sashes. Raised storey bands; early C19 wood brackets to eaves. Right side wall, of 6-window range; has early C19 doorway with large bracketed hood over beaded 4-panelled door with flanking lights and decorative fanlight; semi-circular arch over mid C18 six-panelled door with fanlight; flat stone arches over 6-pane sashes, with thick glazing bars to 5 mid C18 sashes on first floor. Interior: mid C18 and C19 panelled doors. Room to right has mid C18 fielded panelling. Room to right has mid C18 panelled dados. Stair-hall to rear has early C19 dog-leg with landing staircase with wreathed handrail and wrought-iron balustrade, panelled door architraves with paterae, and double doors with decorative fanlight to hall on right with stone flag floor. House owned by wealthy London goldsmith John More between 1727 and 1737, who gave it to Pryse family in 1737. The early C19 alterations date to after 1803 when they amalgamated 2 properties on the site. (Information from VCR)

Listing NGR: SP4436216590

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435581
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1939)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].