CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252576
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252576.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 08:43:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Southleigh
National Grid Reference:
SY 20474 93403

Details

SY 29 SW SOUTHLEIGH SOUTHLEIGH

6/131 Church of St Lawrence - 22.2.55 GV II* Parish church. Norman origins, some C13 and C15 work but most was rebuilt in the C19; the south aisle was added in 1821, the chancel in 1854 and a general restoration of 1881. Local stone and flint rubble with Beerstone quoins and detail; slate roof. Plan: nave and chancel under continuous roof. The south aisle is not quite full length and it contains the south doorway and a porch. West tower, which is all that remains of the medieval church. Exterior: low west tower of 2 stages with low diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet. Internal stair in the north-west corner. The belfry windows are square- headed 2 lights with trefoil heads. West doorway is a 2-centred arch with broad moulded surround and directly above is a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Both nave/chancel and south aisle have shaped kneelers and coping with ball apex finials. The south side of the aisle is 4 bays. The gabled south porch is left of centre containing a possibly reused Norman round-headed arch. The south doorway is a reused Norman arch with broad bead-moulded surround. The windows are 2 lights with Decorated tracery and a 3-light version in the east end. The east end of the chancel has an Early English style triple lancet window containing plate tracery and with a continuous hoodmould. In the gable above is an oculus. The vestry projects from the north side of the chancel and the north side of the nave contains 3 Decorated style windows like those in the aisle. Interior: nave, chancel and aisle have open arch-braced truss roofs. C15 tall tower arch with moulded surround. The chancel arch is C19 (maybe based on the C13 original); the arch has an ogee moulding springing from moulded imposts on double vaulting shafts. 4-bay Beerstone arcade with 1 arch overlapping the chancel; the responds are semi-octagonal, the piers are circular in section, moulded caps and double-Chamfered arch rings. The chancel window inner arches are moulded with shafts and caps. The walls are plastered. The floor is laid with C19 red and black tiles. All the furniture and fittings are C19. In general they are plain with some Gothic decoration. Oak altar rail on pairs of turned balusters. Oak prayer desk, stalls, lectern, drum pulpit and pine stalls. Gothic style oak tower screen. Norman-style Beerstone font on a Purbeck marble base. Monuments: the oldest is north of the sanctuary in memory of Robert Drake (d. 1600); a Beerstone rectangular niche is flanked by Ionic columns supporting a moulded entablature over a strapwork frieze. The sides of the Riche have carved armorial bearings and a strapwork cartouche includes the Latin inscription. Alongside, in the chancel a marble memorial with urn to members of the How family who died between 1813 - 17. The tower contains a marble plaque to John Rose (d. 1705) and an undated early C19 plaque in memory of Thomas and Cholmondely Vickers. Painted board with the ams of George II. The east window and one in the nave have stained glass.

Listing NGR: SY2047493403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435588
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10991/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Thompson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].