CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252599
Date first listed:
22-Jul-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252599.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 23:41:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
North Warwickshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Seckington
National Grid Reference:
SK 26018 07417

Details

BECKINGTON CHURCH LANE CHURCH LANE E SK2ONE (North side)

2/98 Church of All Saints

22/07/53

GV ll

Church. Mid/lat C13 chancel, remodelled and remainder rebuilt early mid C14. Restored and tower largely rebuilt 1883. Regular coursed sandstone. Old plain-tile roofs have coped gable parapets. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Decorated and Perpendicular styles 2-bay chancel 3-bay nave. Splay plinths and cornices throughout. Chancel has deep angle buttresses. 5-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery, but with a quatrefoil replacing the top intersection. North side has chamfered ogee-arched western doorway with plank dour, Blocked eastern lancert. Central 3-light C19 window has intersecting tracery. South side has 2 largely renewed windows with cusped Y-tracery and chamfered ogee low-side lancet. Porch has doorway of 2 segmental -pointed chamfered orders with plain jambs. Simple chamfered ogee doorway inside has duubie-le.3f dorm+ Have has low buttresses to east and west corners. 3-light eastern windows to north and south with renewed cusped intersecting tracery, and western windows with cusped Y-tracery. South side has slate slab with incised decoration and inscription to Benjamin Shelton 1782. North side has buttress between windows. Blocked ogee doorway Tower of 3 stages has splay and moulded plinth, and splay string courses. First stage has tall 2-light ogee west window, with string course forming hood mould. Second stage has lancet slit with deep splays. Bell chamber ties 2-light openings with a variation of Y-tracery C15 parapet and spire has blind arcading of trefoiled arches. Spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes. South side has slit lancet to second stage, Interior: chancel has trefoiled piscina with hood mould. Low recess in north wall. C19 wagon roof. Chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders. Nave has piscina. C19 crown post roof. Tower arch of 2 segmental pointed chamfered orders. Fittings: screen made up of the tracery from the dado panels of a C15 screen. Late C19 octagonal font; pulpit and coronas. Monuments: defaced early C14 effigy of a lady in north recess, Mail monument above; Robert Burdett 1603. Kneeling figures face each other beneath 2 arches, with composite columns, obelisks and strapwork; apron of part-coloured alabaster. 2 late C18 architectural tablets. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p393; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp199-200)

Listing NGR: SK2601807417

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435609
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 199-200
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03395/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alfred John Dyson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].