FORMER BOARD OF GUARDIANS OFFICES, SOUTH OF MANOR HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252621

Date first listed: 07-Mar-1995

Statutory Address: FORMER BOARD OF GUARDIANS OFFICES, SOUTH OF MANOR HOSPITAL, PLECK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER BOARD OF GUARDIANS OFFICES, SOUTH OF MANOR HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:37:29.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER BOARD OF GUARDIANS OFFICES, SOUTH OF MANOR HOSPITAL, PLECK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Walsall (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 00366 98362

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Thefollowing building shall be added to the list;

WALSALL PLECK ROAD SP 09 NW 7/10004 Former Board of Guardians Offices, south of Manor Hospital II Workhouse board of guardians' offices. 1898-1900; by Henry E. Lavender of Walsall, for the Board of Guardians of Walsall Poor Law Union. Red brick with with painted stone dressings. Slate hipped roofs with pierced and crested ridge tiles and corbelled brick eaves cornice. Brick lateral and axial stacks. PLAN: Deep rectangular plan with entrance through a tower on the front right hand corner and board room at the back on the first floor. Jacobethan style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 1:2:1-bay east front with slightly projecting gabled bay on right with 4-light mullion-transom windows, the ground floor window with stepped head containing shield and with shield within panel in the gable; two 2-light mullion-transom windows at centre. Tower on right corner with moulded 4-centred arch doorway with overlight of five small arched lights with stepped head above containing shield; large 3-light 4-centred arch window above with intersecting tracery; fluted frieze and 2-light window above and corbelled eaves cornice to lead-clad ogee dome with ornate weathervane on the finial; aedicule on right side of tower with open pediment and date in shield. Stringcourses at window cill and impost levels. Two small moulded round-headed dormers at front. Side and rear elevations plainer. Ventilator over roof at the rear. INTERIOR: Most of the original interior features remain intact. Glazed tile dados; joinery including panelled doors; chimneypieces; arched screen in entrance hall with stained glass; staircase with ornate wrought and cast-iron balustrade, carved newel and moulded handrail; board room on first floor with moulded plaster panelled coved ceiling and modillion cornice with egg-and-dart frieze. SOURCE: Borough Surveyor's copy of architect's drawings in Walsall Local History Centre.

Listing NGR: SP0036698362

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435626

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing