This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AUTOMOTIVE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AUTOMOTIVE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1252655

Location

AUTOMOTIVE HOUSE, UPPER VILLIERS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Wolverhampton

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435695

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 99 NW WOLVERHAMPTON UPPER VILLIERS STREET

895-1/5/10010 Automotive House

II

Car factory , now works, and empty at the time of inspection. 1905-6, with minor late C20 alterations. By Joseph Lavender, F.R.I.B.A., for the Sunbeam Motor Car Company, and incorporating the site of the first workshop in which a Sunbeam motor car was produced. Red brick with painted dressings beneath a Welsh-slated roof 3-storey street frontage office and showroom range, with 4 bay single storey north-light workshop range behind. North-west elevation; 3 storeys, 11 bays, with 3-bay central entry defined by full-height pilasters, the centre bay with a diminutive pediment, and slightly advanced. Double doorway with panelled doors below keyed semi-circular head, all beneath a segmental pediment. The bays either side of the doorway each have a 3-light window, originally comprised of 3 sash windows, some now altered, beneath a segmental brick arch with an advanced keyblock which links with a sloping string course. Above, at first and second floor levels are coupled sash windows with sma1l-paned upper sashes. This pattern is repeated in each of the 2 bays flanking the entrance bays. The 2 bays at either end of the frontage range sit beneath a broad coped gable with a keyed semi circular arched window above the window head cornice, matching that of the entrance bay. The north-east end bay has full height double doors which formerly led into a covered yard. 4 bays of north light sheds to rear with strutted trusses supporting a ridge beam. Strutted king post trusses to 3-storey range. Original plans and elevations, signed by the architect and dated 31 Jan. 1905 survive. Automotive House was the first purpose-built works of the Sunbeam Motor Car Company, and one of the earliest car factories in England.



Listing NGR: SO9123297104

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO9123297104

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 02:43:08.

End of official listing