This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MAYFIELD COLLEGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAYFIELD COLLEGE

List entry Number: 1252659

Location

MAYFIELD COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mayfield and Five Ashes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

TQ 52 NE WADHURST MAYFIELD COLLEGE

21/1004 II

The entry shall be amended to read:

TQ 52 NE MAYFIELD MAYFIELD COLLEGE

21/1004 II

------------------------------------

WADHURST MAYFIELD COLLEGE TQ 52 NE

21/1004 II

School, originally boys orphanage. Built 1865-6 by Edward Welby Pugin for the Duchess of Leeds with accommodation for about 100 boy orphans and placed under the Xavierian brothers in 1868. Gothic style. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with black polychrome, sandstone dressings and slate roof with brick chimney stacks. 4 storeys. 11 windows. Principal south east front comprises central block of 7 bays and 2 projecting wings of 2 bays. Central block has 3rd floor with paired cambered sashes and central window has round-headed tympanum with quartrefoil. Half-hipped gable with cross bracing above. 1st and 2nd floor windows are cambered sashes flanked by giant pilasters with arches above. Bands of black brick and rosette and quartrefoil decorations. Ground floor has 6 triple Caernarvon arched sashes and cambered arched doorcase. Gabled left wing has third floor triple casement with rose window in tympanum, 2nd floor has 2 mullioned and transomed casements with stone tympanums with quatrefoil motifs. 1st floor has 2 cambered sashes and ground floor has 2 paired cambered windows. Set back is a tall brick tower with elongated double lancet bell opening and corbelled top with spire missing at the time of survey. Left hand bay is identical to left but with 2 storey addition having 1 sash with quatrefoils and angled oriel with mullioned and transomed windows and black diaper brick pattern below, 2 cambered sashes to ground floor. Attached to the right is the chapel in identical style and building materials. 4 bay nave with extended bay chancel with triple lancets. Coping with cross-shaped saddlestone to east and gabled bell cote to west. Transepts with rose windows. 1 storey link to school with arched doorcase. North west elevation has similar arrangement of 7 bays to centre and 2 projecting wings of 2 bays. 3rd floor windows to centre part are cambered casements. 2nd floor windows are cambered 6 pane sashes with cast iron rosettes and continuous hood moulding between 1st floor has paired iron lancets with decorative panes and ground floor has paired Caernarvon arched windows. 2 storey central porch feature with hipped roof and round-headed arch. Wings are gabled with 4th floor sash, 3rd floor triple sash, 2 cambered sashes to 1st and 2nd floors and triple windows to ground floor. Interior has chapel with fairly intact original decoration. Elaborate wooden reredoes with altar panel depicting St Francis Xavier, brass monstrance and 4 gabled niches with statues of saints. To the left is a statue of Christ and to the right a statue of the Virgin and Child. Painted east wall with Annunciation to left and Coronation of the Virgin to right and series of roundels depicting saints. Rose window has stained glass depicting angels, 2 bearing the legend ECCE PANIS ANGELDRUM. Painted design to chancel roof with 'M' symbols. It is thought that the original stencilled wall decoration may remain underneath the C20 painted flecked decoration. Original organ with elaborate Gothic case. Link passage to school has arched braces with rosettes. Refectory is of 5 bays with stone corbels. 2nd floor Dormitory is of 7 bay and has chamfered beams with rib and fillet and rose motif. The laundry on this floor has built in cupboards. The 3rd floor has arched braces with trefoil decoration and is thought to have been originally built as an indoor play area. 2 staircases with cast iron chamfered supports and handrail. This was built as one of a pair with the Girls' orphanage of the same date,later known as St Joseph's College and the Convent of the Holy Child Jesus at Mayfield.

Listing NGR: TQ5922928938

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 59229 28938

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252659 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:39:33.

End of official listing