DOLLIS HILL SYNAGOGUE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252679
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1982
Statutory Address:
DOLLIS HILL SYNAGOGUE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS, PARKSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOLLIS HILL SYNAGOGUE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252679.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 03:07:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOLLIS HILL SYNAGOGUE AND FORECOURT RAILINGS, PARKSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Brent (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 22634 85909

Details

1. 5006 PARKSIDE Dollis Hill Synagogue and TQ 28 NW 2/8 forecourt railings

II

2. 1933. Owen Williams, Architect. Smooth concrete with parapet front. Minimal style with symbolic motifs. Two storeys, ten windows and central plaque on first floor. On ground floor three central entrances flanked by four windows each side. These have flat heads and semicircular cills; and the glazing bars form the pattern of the ritual 7-branched candlestick. This motif is repeated in the wrought iron forecourt railing and its double gate at each end. On North and South returns 3 tall shallow bay projections with narrow blank sections between, have shallow pointed parapets which accommodate half-hexagonal windows. Hexagonal windows just below these and also at ground level. Side sections and rear elevation is main front. Synagogue hall alongside 1937-38 much simpler. Interior shows roof vault of shallow canted sections reflecting exterior form. Good oak veneered galleries and furnishings. Plain and functional, but candlestick motif repeated in interior rails. Modern stainless steel rails and actual candlestick.

Listing NGR: TQ2263485909

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198793
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02272/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr E.C.T.S. Glover. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].