ROOD ASHTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252698

Date first listed: 07-May-1975

Statutory Address: ROOD ASHTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROOD ASHTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252698 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 20:02:13.

Location

Statutory Address: ROOD ASHTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: West Ashton

National Grid Reference: ST 88615 56036

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST ASHTON ROOD ASHTON PARK ST 85 NE (south side) 6/283 Rood Ashton House 7.5.75 GV II

Remains of country house. 1808 by Jeffry Wyattville for Richard Godolphin Long, altered by Thomas Hopper 1836, larger part demolished in 1970s. Limestone ashlar, concrete tiled or flat roofs, octagonal panelled ashlar stacks. Late gothic-style. All that remains following demolition is the north wing. Present C20 entrance on truncated south side with-buttress. West front retains a 3-storey square corner tower to right with two stone roll-moulded cross windows with hoodmoulds to ground, first and second floors, octagonal corner pilasters carried up to panelled turrets linked by battlemented parapet with moulded coping. To left is single-storey bay with large 3-light mullioned and transomed window with hoodmould, quatrefoil to gable over with apex stack, 2-storey bay to left with cross windows to each floor. Rear now with C20 casements, C20 kitchen with reused windows and masonry. Interior gutted during 1970s, all fittings brought in; some reused. Occupies prominent hilltop site in landscaped park, built on site of earlier house. A new drive and tree planting in 1840, designed by Sir John Nasmyth, lodge (not listed) by T.H. Wyatt adjacent to Church of St John the Evangelist (q.v.) at south entrance to park. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)

Listing NGR: ST8861556036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435745

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

End of official listing