CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252726
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 11:07:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Ingleton
National Grid Reference:
SD 69512 73260

Details

INGLETON MAIN STREET SD 6873-6973 (west side) 14/12 Church of St Mary the Virgin 20.2.58 GV II* Parish church. 1886-87 by C E Tate, except C15 west tower. Snecked and dressed stone, slate roof, rubble to tower. South entrance porch, 3 stage west tower, 5 bay nave and aisles, bay chancel, north vestry. Steeply pitched roof to porch, moulded segmental pointed arch, diagonal buttresses. Pointed entrance arch, plank doors and strap hinges. Tower, west pointed entrance with deeply chamfered surround, hoodmould, plank door. Tall 3-light window with c1887 mullions hoodmould. 2-light louvred window with trefoil heads to bell stage. Diagonal buttresses, string course to base of embattled parapet with 4 finials. Tall south entrance has corbelled and deeply chamfered pointed arch, plank doors. Four 3-light Perpendicular style windows to south aisle. 5 pairs of lancet windows with cusped heads to clerestory; continuous hoodmould. Corbel table. 2-lights and single-light south windows to chancel with cusped heads; foliate stops to hoodmould. Blind arcading to corbel table. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery, head stops to hoodmould. Cruciform finial to east gable end of nave, and east end of lower gable to chancel. Interior: 4 segmental pointed arches to north and south arcades. Repositioned Romanesque font in south aisle includes various biblical scenes represented by 13 figures and tree of life; intersecting arches; c1970 base. Vestry contains tablet by Boundy of Kendal commemorating 1886-87 rebuilding. Fragments of wall painting on west wall of nave, now unidentifiable.

Listing NGR: SD6951273260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435785
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].