VAULTS, HEADSTONES AND RETAINING WALL LINING WEST SIDE OF APPROACH TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW FROM SOUTH GATE OF CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252739

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: VAULTS, HEADSTONES AND RETAINING WALL LINING WEST SIDE OF APPROACH TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW FROM SOUTH GATE OF CHURCHYARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of VAULTS, HEADSTONES AND RETAINING WALL LINING WEST SIDE OF APPROACH TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW FROM SOUTH GATE OF CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252739 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 03:45:22.

Location

Statutory Address: VAULTS, HEADSTONES AND RETAINING WALL LINING WEST SIDE OF APPROACH TO CHURCH OF ST ANDREW FROM SOUTH GATE OF CHURCHYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Colebrooke

National Grid Reference: SS 77005 00002

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLEBROOKE COLEBROOKE SS 70 SE 3/99 Vaults, headstones and retaining - wall lining west side of approach to Church of St Andrew from south gate of churchyard

GV II

Group of 5 family vaults, 2 headstones and revetment wall lining sunken path. All C19. Vaults and headstones employ limestone, granite, volcanic stone and mudstone ashlar and wall of mudstone noble. Various styles. Described from north (nearest church) to south (adjoining south gate of churchyard). At north (right) end is Wreford vault of circa 1889. Front of rusticated volcanic ashlar with plain granite ashlar and including central limestone rectangular plaque inscribed in memory of Simon Lee Wreford (died 1889). The granite coping encloses a rectangular plot to rear which includes 3 reset limestone headstones facing forward and set shoulder to shoulder. All have shaped heads and are inscribed in memory to C19 members of the Lee family. The earliest to the right includes a carved cherub at the top over the memorial to Ann Wreford (died 1824). Leaning against the back of these headstone is another limestone headstone with shaped top inscribed in memory of Simon Wreford (died 1790), his wife Mary (died 1795) and their 3 infant children. Adjoining the Wreford vault to left is the Partridge vault of circa 1840. The granite ashlar front has a projecting moulded cornice and includes 3 limestone rectangular panels. The larger central panel is inscribed in memory of Thomas Partridge (died 1840) his wife Elizabeth (died 1797) and his son William (died 1830), and is signed Gould of Colebrooke. The granite coping encloses a rectangular plot to the rear which includes an arch-headed Gothic-style limestone headstone in memory of James Ebbels (died 1855) and his family. Adjoining the Partridge vault to the left is the Grueber memorial of circa 1834. It is built of snecked rusticated volcanic stone with plain granite cornice and central large granite plaque inscribed in memory of Jane Lady May (died 1834) and several members of the Grueber family. Adjoining the Grueber vault to the left is a section of retaining wall flanked by uninscribed granite slabs, a central section of rubble wall with limestone headstones between, in merry of William Tozer (died 1843) and his family to right and William Cornish (died 1810) to left. Adjoining to left is the stone vault of circa 1877. Built of granite ashlar it contains a limestone plaque inscribed in memory of Jams Stone of Furzedown (died 1872) and his family. The plot behind is covered by granite ashlar with raised concave central section. Adjoining the stone vault to the left is the Lee vault of circa 1882. It is built of mudstone ashlar with a central panel containing 2 nowy- headed limestone memorials recording the deaths of James Lee (died 1835) and his family. The coping enclosed a rectangular plot to rear. Adjoining to left a mudstone rubble wall continues a short distance to south side of churchyard.

Listing NGR: SS7700300001

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435808

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing