CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252751

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND PRESBYTERY, 970, HARROW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252751 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:17:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE AND PRESBYTERY, 970, HARROW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Brent (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16175 85780

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

TQ 1685 SUDBURY HARROW ROAD (east side) 935-/8/10011 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE and Presbytery (no. 970)

II

Church with attached priest's house. 1925-8 by Leonard Williams, completed after his death in 1927 by Eustace Salisbury. Stock brick with stone dressings, the piers and much of the internal decoration of the church also of stone. Tile roofs, tile hanging to first floor of house, the ground floor of which is rendered. Two-bay aisle nave with narthex under western organ gallery, and vaulted octagonal western baptistery. Porches to north and south. Transepts, that to the north with porch and two-bay side chapel, that to the south linked with house and giving on to sacristy in chancel south aisle. A blocked arcade denotes the sacristy. Two-bay chancel with north chancel chapel. Flat boarded ceiling over deep cove. The church is in the Perpendicular style, with four-pointed arches, and windows of two or three lights and with cusping. Doors to north and south porches and north transept with hood-moulds and dripstone blocks awaiting future carving. South porch with statue of St George in elaborate stone niche. Four-pointed arcades with deeply-moulded circular capitals, that abutting the sacristy blocked, but with panelled screen set against it having three-seat sedilia, stoop and linenfold panelling. Open traceried screens of great craftsmanship separate the north aisle chapel from the chancel and transept. The choir benches also have cusped tracery. Panelled reredos with tester and Sarum altar with angels. Stone pulpit under rood. North aisle chapel with altar, gilded reredos and recticulated tracery panelling behind. The abutting house, reached through the south transept and sacristy, is of four asymmetrical bays, and of two storeys with dormers. Single stack. All windows with mullions and leaded lights. The porch left-of-centre has a four-centred arch leading to panelled door. Rear elevation similar with catslide roof to left.

Listing NGR: TQ1617585780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435855

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing