FLEEMING AND COLLITT MONUMENTS 2.5 METRES SOUTH WEST OF PORCH OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252752
Date first listed:
09-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
FLEEMING AND COLLITT MONUMENTS 2.5 METRES SOUTH WEST OF PORCH OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ACKTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FLEEMING AND COLLITT MONUMENTS 2.5 METRES SOUTH WEST OF PORCH OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252752 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:25:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
FLEEMING AND COLLITT MONUMENTS 2.5 METRES SOUTH WEST OF PORCH OF CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ACKTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Featherstone
National Grid Reference:
SE 42177 22077

Details

FEATHERSTONE ACKTON LANE SE 42 SW (north side) 3/6 - Fleeming and Collitt monuments 2½ metres south-west of porch of Church of All Saints GV II

Two monumental slabs c.1682 and c.1723. Both of sandstone, and rectangular. That on the north side, commemorating Samuel Collitt (d1682), has a border of foliated scrolls continued round the head as an arched band of primitive gadrooning, with winged angel heads in the spandrels; inscription headed by ¨Here¨ with raised decorated initial "H" in a sunk panel, and continued "Lyeth ye Remaines what mortality hath left . . . ¨ Additions: Martha his wife (d1721) and another Martha (d1748). The other slab, commemorating Martha, daughter of William Fleeming of Castleford (d.1723) has a trailing vine border, arched head containing the word "Here" in large raised lettering with a foliated surround, and sunk spandrels containing stylised tulips; finely lettered inscription concluding with a verse.

Listing NGR: SE4217722077

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435857
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10694/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].