PAIR OF CHAPELS AT OAKHAM CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252774

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1992

Statutory Address: PAIR OF CHAPELS AT OAKHAM CEMETERY, KILBURN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAIR OF CHAPELS AT OAKHAM CEMETERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 13:49:34.

Location

Statutory Address: PAIR OF CHAPELS AT OAKHAM CEMETERY, KILBURN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rutland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Oakham

National Grid Reference: SK8585909565

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added to the list; SK 80 NE OAKHAM KILBURN ROAD

Pair of chapels at 1/10000 Oakham Cemetery

GV II

Linked pair of cemetery chapels. 1860. By Pearson Bellamy and J Spence Hardy of Lincoln. Thinly coursed ironstone with pale ashlar limestone dressings; coated slate roof. Single-celled chapels linked to a central tower with carriage arch and spire; gabled porches to outer side of each chapel. Symmetrical. Gothic Revival style with decorated tracery. Chamfered plinth; angle buttresses with offsets and pinnacles (truncated). Tall carriage arch with hoodmould within gable having trefoil and traceried parapet. Ashlar offsets and diagonal buttresses to the tower; a tall single-light opening to each side has colonnettes, decorative iron transom bars and ogee hoodmould with finial. Offset base to octagonal spire with lucarnes. Links to each chapel have cusped lancets; doors beneath vaulted soffit of arch have shouldered lintels. Chapels: diamond-paned leaded lights to traceried 3-light windows with hoodmoulds; gables with traceried parapets; crested ridge tiles. The outer porches have buttresses, pointed arches and double doors within. Rear: chapels have 2-light windows and coped gables. Interior: some fittings remain in left chapel. An outstanding example of a plan-type frequently used to combine conformist and non- conformist mortuary chapels and found from the 1850's onwards.

Listing NGR: SK8585909565

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435880

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing