This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BLISWORTH MILL, INCLUDING ENGINE ROOM AND OFFICE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BLISWORTH MILL, INCLUDING ENGINE ROOM AND OFFICE

List entry Number: 1252859

Location

BLISWORTH MILL, INCLUDING ENGINE ROOM AND OFFICE, GAYTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blisworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 7254 BLISWORTH GAYTON ROAD

10/10001 Blisworth Mill, including Engine Room and Office

GV II

Steam mill. Dated 1879. Orange colour flemish bond brick with blue engineering brick and stone dressings. Welsh slate roof with coped gable ends with moulded stone kneelers and moulded brick eaves cornice. PLAN: Large rectangular mill with east side onto canal, west side facing yard, engine house and chimney on north west corner and office on west side of yard. EXTERIOR: 4 storey attic and basement. 8-bay east elevation facing canal with giant pilasters and saw-tooth segmental arches over top windows, 25 and 20-pane cast-iron windows in segmental arch openings; some blind or blocked. Blocked basement and ground floor doorway at centre. Originally a canopy over ground floor overhanging the canal. Similar west elevation but with truncated chimney and engine house in bays 1,2 and 3, the truncated chimney with later tank on top; the engine house with similar windows, those in end gables with round arches. Similar 3-bay north and south ends, the centre bay rises into gable with round arch to left and right of which are tablets with inscription 'J Westley 1879'. Small single storey office on west side of yard with brick pilastered window bays, the doorway with pediment and C20 porch. INTERIOR: No machinery. Boarded floors and large pine beams supported on cast-iron posts which diminish in size with each ascending storey. Queen-strut roof.

NOTE: Kelly's Directory lists Westley Bros and Clark as millers (steam) SOURCE: Kelly's Directory 1898.

Listing NGR: SP7237453404

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Bedfordshire Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, (1898)

National Grid Reference: SP 72374 53404

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252859 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 08:36:45.

End of official listing