TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL, CANAL MILEPOST AT SK 2033 1848

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252867
Date first listed:
10-Feb-1995
Statutory Address:
TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL, CANAL MILEPOST AT SK 2033 1848

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL, CANAL MILEPOST AT SK 2033 1848
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 01:44:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL, CANAL MILEPOST AT SK 2033 1848

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Barton-under-Needwood
National Grid Reference:
SK 20352 18477

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:-

SK 21 NW BARTON-UNDER-NEEDWOOD TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

3/10005 Canal Milepost at SK 2033 1845

- II

Canal milepost. Dated "R & D Stone 1819" on shaft. Cast iron painted black and white. Circular post with moulded head and embossed letters on 2 convex tablets below: "Shardlow 20 miles" "Preston Brook 72 miles". Probably cast in the foundry of Rangeley and Dixon in Lichfield Street, Stone. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall. Charles Hadfield, The Canals ofthe West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SK2035218477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435974
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15253/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].