This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1252870



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Liverpool

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 435977

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SJ 3489 SLATER STREET (west side)

30/1323 No 30 including No 60 Seel Street


Former watchmaker's works, unoccupied at time of survey. c1850. Red brick with cement rendering and dressings. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys with cellars; 3 bays to Slater Street, 2 bays to Seel Street on right return (bay 2 being No 60 Seel Street). Slater Street facade: cemented quoins on right; recessed central doorway with plain over-light in rounded architrave. Sill band to 3-light windows having cast-iron colonnette mullions and architraves beneath moulded string course. 1st floor: similar windows flanking single central light beneath string course. 2nd Floor: sill band to 9-light window with iron colonnettes and remains of 4-pane sashes to lights 2, 3, 6 and 7. Eaves cornice; hipped right end to roof having truncated brick stacks on right slope and similar end stack on left. Right return facing Seel Street has two 3-light windows to each floor and is detailed as front. Door within ground-floor right window; 1st floor windows have 16-pane casements. Interior not inspected. Occupied from 1855-1876 as watchmaker's premises by Richard Shearer and Thomas Russell; from 1895 used as a cash register manufactory. Together with No 32 Slater Street (qv) the buildings form the best known example, in this area, of workshops associated with watch and clockmaking; the industry reached its peak in Liverpool in the mid Cl9.

Listing NGR: SJ3492889938

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ3492889938


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 05:41:25.

End of official listing