FORMER GRANT'S DEPARTMENT STORE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252987

Date first listed: 16-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: FORMER GRANT'S DEPARTMENT STORE, 14, 16 AND 18, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER GRANT'S DEPARTMENT STORE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 19:32:27.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER GRANT'S DEPARTMENT STORE, 14, 16 AND 18, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Croydon (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 32311 65499

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

TQ 3265 CROYDON HIGH STREET (west side) 1005-/9/10015 nos. 14, 16 and 18 (former Grant's Department Store)

GV II

Former department store. 1894 by Metcalfe and Jones for Grant Brothers. Four main storeys with attics above. Red brick with grey brick diapering and extensive stone dressings. Symmetrical seven-bay facade. Ground floor with modern shop front, fascia obscured. From it ascend semi-octagonal attached columns at ends and either side of central bay; similar columns define other bays but project from corbels. First floor has three pairs of windows with four-centred arches under flat stone entablatures which flank two narrow central windows with a decorative panel forming the initials 'GB'. In the band above, decorative lettering reads: 'MILLINERY/RIBBONS - LONDON HOUSE - LACE/GLOVES - SILKS/DRESSES - LONDON HOUSE - MANTLES/LINENS'. The bays above these windows are arranged 1-2-1 either side of projecting canted oriel, all with stone dressings. Cornice above third floor decorated with leaves and panels. The central oriel has a turret with ogee cap and octagonal pillars projecting above the parapet and supporting heraldic beasts. A further tower rises one storey higher behind, with an open decorated parapet.

Listing NGR: TQ3230865506

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436111

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing