This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

237 AND 239, SYDENHAM ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 237 AND 239, SYDENHAM ROAD

List entry Number: 1252991

Location

237 AND 239, SYDENHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Croydon

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Nov-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436113

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

TQ 36 NW SYDENHAM ROAD

1005-/2/10020 Nos. 237 and 239

GV II

Semi-detached houses, now flats, c.1878 to the early patent concrete slab system pioneered by W H Lascelles, builder, with assistance in design by Norman Shaw. Coloured concrete, brick, and concrete tile-hanging stained to resemble clay. Tile roof with brick stacks. Deep plan, the two-storey houses a mirror image of each other, with projecting wings to front and sides. All windows casements, those to jettied first floor with lattice-pattern iron tracery. Entrances in side wings under elaborate projecting doorcases with console brackets, pilasters and original doors. Interiors not inspected. Also included in the listing is the original concrete front boundary wall to no. 237. Included as a remarkable survival of early concrete technology, designed with exceptional architectural skill. This semi-detached pair form a strong group with the listed nos. 226 and 228 opposite, also built to the Lascelles system. Sources: R Norman Shaw, 'Sketches for Cottages', 1878 Andrew Saint, 'Richard Norman Shaw', 1976, pp.165-71.

Listing NGR: TQ3276066671

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976), 165-71
Shaw, R , Sketches for Cottages, (1878)

National Grid Reference: TQ 32760 66671

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252991 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 09:02:13.

End of official listing