Monument to Vice Admiral Robert Fitzroy in All Saints' Churchyard


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood, SE19 3EP


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252999.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2021 at 02:37:35.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood, SE19 3EP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Croydon (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33127 69764


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2018

TQ 36 NW 1005-/2/10005

BEULAH HILL Monument to Vice- Admiral Robert Fitzroy in All Saints' Churchyard

II Railed monument with headstone and footstone c.1865 to Vice-Admiral Robert Fitzroy (1805-1865). This comprises a cast-iron railed enclosure with spear rails and dog rails on stone plinth. Headstone with curved top incorporates roundel with cross held by anchor. Replaced footstone of 1985 commemorates the fact that Fitzroy was first head of the Meteorological Office in 1854. His wife Maria Isabella (d.1889) and daughter Laura Maria Elizabeth Fitzroy (d.1943) were also buried here. Vice-Admiral Fitzroy was captain of the 'Beagle' during Charles Darwin's first voyage (1831-36). He was responsible for many meteorological discoveries and was first head of the Meteorogical Office in 1854. He was Governor of New Zealand between 1843 and 1845.

Listing NGR: TQ3312769764


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00287/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].