CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253000
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1991
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, VANCOUVER ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253000.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Dec-2021 at 17:31:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, VANCOUVER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3672072953

Details

The following building shall be added:-

CATFORD VANCOUVER ROAD TQ 3672 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE 31/225 GV II

Church. 1878-80 by William C. Banks built at the expense of George Parker of Lewisham house. Aisled nave and chancel terminating in a polygonal apse. Low apsidal baptistery set between entrance porches at the west end and a prominent north tower raised in height in 1887 to a modified design. South east vestry. Built of Kentish ragstone rubble with slate roof. 5 bay nave with clerestory having double trefoils with quatrefoil design below and traceried windows below. West end has central base window with baptistery jutting out between 2 gabled porches. Impressive north east tower in 4 stages with octagonal turret, buttresses and quatrefoil ornament to parapet. Bell state has double trefoiliated louvred apertures and lancets below, except for traceried window to 1st stage. Apsidal ended chancel with arched windows and buttresses. Gabled vestry to south east. Interior has wooden roof replaced after a fire in 1976. Nave capitals have fine naturalistic carving and the circular font and pulpit are good examples of their kind. West rose window has fine stained glass by Henry Holiday of 1900, Christ, cherubim and seraphim in vivid reds, blues and golds. Other windows and wall decoration by P. Bacon and R. Corbould of Hemming & Co.

Listing NGR: TQ3672072953

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436120
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

User contributions are not fact checked and do not represent the official position of Historic England.

Request a correction of the list entry

Read the Enriching the List Terms and Conditions

For any other issue or if you need help, please email: [email protected]


Upcoming maintenance

Enriching The List will be unavailable on 7 & 8 December to allow us to prepare for the launch of an upgraded version.