This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HAMPTON WATERWORKS, THE BEAM AND STORE BUILDINGS TO THE WEST OF THE BEAM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAMPTON WATERWORKS, THE BEAM AND STORE BUILDINGS TO THE WEST OF THE BEAM

List entry Number: 1253019

Location

HAMPTON WATERWORKS, THE BEAM AND STORE BUILDINGS TO THE WEST OF THE BEAM, UPPER SUNBURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Dec-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5028 UPPER SUNBURY ROAD

Hampton Waterworks, the Beam and Store Buildings to the west of the Beam TQ 1369 29/8 24.12.68

II

2. 1853-1855, by the engineer Joseph Quick, extended 1881-1882 by Alexander Frazer. Originally 2 separate engine houses known as 'The Beam' (at the west end of the range) and 'The Bull' (at the east end) from the type of engines they housed. The engine houses are of equal height but their elevations are treated as if they were of 2 ('The Bull') and 3 ('The Beam') storeys. The space between the engine houses was filled in in 1881 with a lower single storey range. The whole group is of Gault brick with stucco cornices and some stucco window dressings on 'The Bull'. 'The Bull' formerly had a chimney stack at the front, but this has been demolished down to the level of the engine house parapet.

Listing NGR: TQ1343569501

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 13435 69501

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253019 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 05:58:06.

End of official listing