JASMINE BINGO HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253032

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1993

Statutory Address: JASMINE BINGO HALL, 11-15, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of JASMINE BINGO HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253032 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:05:22.

Location

Statutory Address: JASMINE BINGO HALL, 11-15, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 35286 72906

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

FOREST HILL LONDON ROAD TQ 3572 (south side) 779-/30/10012 Nos. 11-15 Jasmine Bingo Hall (formerly Capitol Cinema)

II

Cinema, later Bingo Hall:Built in 1928-9 by J Stanley Beard, a noted cinema architect and garden designer in Art Deco Egyptian style. This cinema was designed for silent films and sound equipment had to be inserted behind the screen in 1929. It was designed to seat 1700 and originally had a Compton organ. Built of brick with white tiled facade with blue and yellow faience decorations, roof concealed by parapet. Two storeys and attics; 7 windows. Recessed centre with 5 round-headed windows to first floor with stained glass divided by pilasters,behind which was the tearoom. Massive cornice above, then 5 tripartite windows to attic and pediment withacroteria and decorative bands. On either side are projecting full-height rusticated piers with brackets and torch decorations. End staircase bays have round-headed windows with stained glass to first floor. Late C20 fascia and 5 double doors. Interior retains columned tearoom and a complete auditorium with original proscenium with gilded relief figures to pediment and engaged columns at each side, ribbed plastered ceiling with side pilasters and brackets and moulded balcony front. A rare survival of a complete 1920s cinema and the earliest complete cinema by Beard now surviving.

Listing NGR: TQ3528672906

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436173

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing