FRIARY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253063
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Feb-1979
Statutory Address:
FRIARY FARMHOUSE, CLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIARY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:16:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRIARY FARMHOUSE, CLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Blakeney
National Grid Reference:
TG 03199 44039

Details

1. 5320 BLAKENEY CLEY ROAD (North Side)

Friary Farmhouse (formerly listed as Friary Farmhouse TG 04 SW 1/12 6.3.59

II

2. House incorporating remains of Carmelite Friary founded in 1296, chuch consecrated in 1302. Gift of Maud de Roos, wife of W. de Roos who distinguished himself in the Crusades and was knighted and granted land at Cley and Blakeney. The house as it stands is probably mainly C17 with datestone on west side: "1667 T.R.I". Flint and brick with some stone quoins. Pantile roof with brick coping to gable ends. Two storeys and attic. L-shaped on plan. mainly modern metal-frame casements and some sashes with glazing bars. Incoporates medieval walling, a buttress, various blocked openings, fragments of window surrounds and stonework including a re-used carved kneeler on south-west gable with coat of arms. Modern accretions on east side. Wing on south-east probably C17, and later, one storey and attic.

Listing NGR: TG0319944039

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
222865
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/00329/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John D. Cucksey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].