LEWISHAM THEATRE AND DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253065

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1993

Statutory Address: LEWISHAM THEATRE AND DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE, RUSHEY GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEWISHAM THEATRE AND DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253065 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 18:39:25.

Location

Statutory Address: LEWISHAM THEATRE AND DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE, RUSHEY GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 37665 73667

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

CATFORD RUSHEY GREEN TQ 3773 779-/25/10005 Lewisham Theme and Department of Environmental services

II

Theatre and offices, built as concert hall and offices. Built in 1931-32 by Arthur John Hope of the firm of Bradshaw, Gass and Hope as a concert hall extension to the old Town Hall of 1874-5 by G Elkington, demolished in the 1950s. The building included offices and was originally intended for dancing and wrestling as well as concerts and minor theatricals. Curved stone building with hipped tiled roof with 2 stage domed octagonal cupola surmounted by weathervane. Four storeys. Third floor set back with triple arched windows divided by pilasters. Other floors have top opening casements with small panes (arched to second floor) divided by pilasters with reliefs of sea creatures. Central open pediment flanked by heraldic deers and bears (Lewisham crest) and stone flat canopy to ground floor. Theatre to left comprises central full-height curved bay with 3 tall arched windows with 9 smaller windows to 3rd floor divided by shields with heraldic beasts and 2 further bays on either side. Centre has flat canopy and double doors. Sides have two curved doorcases with central roundel. Rear entrance has blank wall with blank panel with griffins flanking shield and gargoyles below parapet. Interior of theatre has complete Art Deco interior. Staircases have metal handrails, panels with metal scrollwork and octagonal metal light fittings, Function Room has lattice panels and panelling, vaulted corridor with gilded ceiling apertures, Concert Hall has gothic style oak panelling and 4-centred surrounds to radiators. Auditorium has curved roof with coffered panels, giant round-headed arches, 10 original metal and glass lanterns, carved wooden gallery and curved proscenium arch flanked by panels surmounted by shields, flanked by heraldic beasts and metal scrollwork grilles. Original Compton organ with consoles.

Listing NGR: TQ3766573667

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436196

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing